More-er Books and Easter

Saturday, April 11, 2020
Books! 

As we engage in life the day before THE Resurrection, I am pondering how today would be different if I could go out into the world. And its not all bad to be home. I fed the birds, fed my girls, got my exercise from bringing in the groceries and wiping things down, blah, blah. I have a new perspective on good Friday and Jesus' Resurrection. I am eternally grateful. I have always been but I think in these special times, we all have time to think and to pray and to just be. To appreciate the simplicity. I was talking to a neighbor and she was saying they have been quiet. Their lives are quiet right now. That has stayed with me. So in the quietness, may you find a good book. 
And the goodness of God. 


I loved loved loved this book. Coming of age story about a girl who moves from the country to big city Baltimore  ( I can't remember the time period-1920s?) and becomes a house maid for a Jewish family. She learns the ins and outs of the family as well as the customs of the Jewish people. Diary form which I adore!



This is a story about two best friends in England ( again can't remember the time period- late 1960s?) and them trying to figure out a case of a missing neighbor. It has some depth but the banter between the girls is spot on and has a great sense of community. 



This one was a book I wouldn't normally pick up but I got hooked into the story from about page 1. For grammar people, clearly not me!,  you might go bonkers reading this book. I appreciated the lack of perfection. And isn't that what we are doing these days? Accepting our inability to create perfect things and to not be perfect. What a relief. Little do some know, we have always lacked perfection but are broken vessels waiting to be filled with the love of Jesus. Yeah, back to the book... I think there are making this one into a movie. I liked this book. 



Looking for a light hearted book with some laughs? This is it! The story moves along and I was intrigued. Now, this is an interesting one because I totally got into this book but couldn't even finish the second one and I don't think I even pretended to read the third. I think there is a third? But don't let that stop you from picking this one up. 



This was one of the first books I read from a translation. I took me twice to "get it" although when does it not take me two times to get it?? This was actually translated from German but what got me mixed up was the Italian phrases. Then when I got to page 3, I was okay. Yeah, long time. Auntie Poldi has moved to Italy and she is a hoot! She drinks, she swears and she has lots of adventures! She struggles with depression in the midst of this so to me, it made her human. She also reminded me of one of my grandmothers which made this book even more fun. And to make things even better, I found this hardback book, barely read, for $1! If you know me, I am not thrifty. But once in a blue moon, its exciting. I might see what Dave Ramsey and Suze Orman are on to... 


May you enjoy the simplicity of our needs today and are able to just be. To be in the presence of the Lord and feel the freedom to be yourself. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...