Cookbooks for Adults and Kids

Friday, April 3, 2020
I am on a book roll right now. Lots of book posts! You would think that during this time at home, we would be reading reading reading. But there doesn't seem to be time for that. Time to eat again??? Ok by me!

When you have little kids and you are creative, your creativity takes on different forms. Mine came as food. Sometimes its good, sometimes its an "experiment." But over time, I have become better and better at cooking. I like it. I am hungry. I like food. And I have found some helpful cookbooks along the way. My oldest daughter and I compiled a list of cookbooks that are our go to books. Some are for kids and some for adults, but she and I cook out of both. And bake. She has perfected the biscuit. 

Forget who his mom is. Jamie Deen's food stands on its own. His recipes are food that we all want to eat and food that is good. Nothing is over the top hard, but its all really delicious. We especially love his chicken and dumplings. 


This is a book I look forward to some generation below me to keep and adore the way I do. "That cookbook was Granny Holly's book. Wasn't she so adorable and fun? I can't wait to cook the banana cake she was famous for." I am just guessing as to what this future granddaughter might say. But the banana cake is famous around here. Bascially famous between my house, my parents, my father in law and my sisters' home. Whatevs. I will take it. 
Side note- I bought this book at Wakulla Springs, which if you are familiar with the place, its like stepping back in time. There are pictures of my great grandmother on the walls and I kinda love that. Plus, the river boat cruise does not disappoint. 


Now we step into current times. This book was a gift from my mom to my oldest daughter and me. We love a good cheese board. I might have gained a few el bees's one Christmas because I discovered the cheese board. This is cheese and then some. I have made a really great hummus from this book. There are also dessert boards, California boards and hot chocolate boards. 


I don't know how I came across this one. Its one of my newer ones. It tends to be heavy on the cheese side, and when you have someone in your house not on the cheese wagon currently, it can be hard. Emotionally hard, without the cheese I meant. It's fresh tasting and the author is based out of Colorado and we went there this summer so I like that.
Oh, how could I forget? I make a chicken finger recipe out of here that isn't healthy but super good. Plus, there are leftovers for school for my girls the next day. Boo Yah! 



These illustrations are beautiful. The cookbook author and chef watercolors throughout the book. And each recipe has very few ingredients. Does anyone remember the movie Mermaids? The mom made dinner appetizers. Everything was an appetizer. This is similar. Everything in here you could have at a small get together. Remember those? Small get togethers. Before the quarantine? This is what I call a small get together-my family within my home eating together at the supper table.
There are several of these cookbooks
- one for kids, one for parties, and a Mediterranean one. 


This was a cookbook I added to my collection before I actually cooked. The coconut cake is super good. I could eat it right now. Sigh. 

This was a "throw-it-in-the-bag-because-I-want-this-girl-to-read-something" purchase. Don't you love when impulsive decisions work out? Its rare. If you know me, I am the impulsive one and my husband is not. Thank God for him. 
This cookbook has a great chicken recipe we have already made twice during this quarantine. Panko bread crumbs, Dijon mustard and an egg plus some kind of chicken you have. And people actually eat it around here at our small get togethers at the dining room table. ( Just kidding- we eat at the island these days. The table is puzzle central.)


Even in the midst of these trying times, I hope something at home can bring you joy. Cooking has for me. Blogging too. Thanks for reading. May you find joy today. And go looking for it. You will be surprised what comes to mind.

See Ya- 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...