Books: How could I leave these out???

Thursday, April 2, 2020
Alright folks. I have found more books that I really enjoyed. This has been a group effort between my bookshelf, my library card, my kids and my goodreads account. Oh and who could forget my amazon account? I know very few people are looking on Amazon right now.... Or they can't live without Amazon??

On to the books!



Puhlease. I adore these books. I think this is what got me excited about reading again. There are maybe 8 now in the series and it follows an 11 year old girl living in England in the 1930s. She is hilarious. Instead of saying "Yahoo!" she says "Yaroo!" We, being me, say that Yaroo now because of Flavia. She also has a name for her bike. Quirky and cute girl. 



Even if you don't like to cook, you will enjoy this book. Colwin writes like you are sitting with a friend with whom you can let your hair down. Or be in your pajamas all day with greasy hair. Just trying to make this current for quarantine days. Although, you wouldn't be together. You would be zooming with your friend. This book is hopeful and also teaches you a few simple meals.





I loved Poldark. I still have the last season saved! I can't believe I haven't watched it yet. I read the first 2 books of the series and it was like watching new episodes of Poldark. When this quarantine business is over, I will go and get the third in the series. 




Sorry this picture is so wee. I loved Gone with the Wind. This is the back story of Mammy. And while this is no Gone with the Wind, its a good book.  This author has also written, Rhett Butler's People, which I am currently reading. 




Quirky. I bought this book at a bookstore I visited 3 times while in Denver this summer. Instead of buying gobs of tchotchkes, I bought books and let my girls buy books. Our luggage was a little heavy coming back! Actually, we bought another suitcase. I liked Sourdough. You will want to make bread after this. In a weird, quirky way. And tchotchkes is not used often enough. 




Yes. yes. yes. I originally thought this was a non-fiction book which sort of made me feel bleh about it. I finally checked it out and this book was amazing. Her grammar slowly gets better ( which in book 2 I realized I had missed the incorrect grammar- wonder why??) This is journal form which I adore. I find books that are epistolary form less intimidating. And have good stopping points. This one you won't want to stop. There are 4 now in this series but the first is by far the best.




This book is about a recent widow who owns her own diner and the cast of characters in her small town. I read it many years ago but I can't seem to get rid of it to make room for new books. I mean, certainly no one would think of me as a hoarder. Yeah... I still think about this book and to me, that's a sign of a good read.




I didn't know I would love Henri Nouwen until I did. I love his books. Real. In depth. His spiritual journey with Jesus is redemptive for this fallen world. Not a long book but just enough to make you want to read more of his work.




Whew lady. Catherine Marshalls' works are books that can change your life. Her words are like balm to the soul. Her experiences and her explanations of those experiences, changed my life. She wrote about Jesus and it made me want to read more and more about Jesus. She is a great one to read in a time of darkness and soul searching. 



Another book that was like water to a thirsty land. I am someone that struggles with anxiety and depression and this book brought Light to some of that. Light being Jesus. I have given this book out to many friends and I kind of wouldn't stop talking about this book for 2 years. Another book that is a good one to read during hard times. Its a thoughtful and restful book. And Jesus offers us that rest if we can abide in Him.  




Thanks for reading friends! 
May the Lord bless and keep you today and make His face shine upon you and give you Peace.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...