Adult Fiction Books: Part ?, Day ? ( who knows anymore!)

Saturday, April 18, 2020
There is no order to these books or any of these posts.  There never seems to be kind of order at my house. It goes through my mind to clean it up and organize but meh. I remember when we had one toddler and a few friends came over and it was like a tornado went through here. Like not a place to put your foot down. It was bad. And these friends were very kind and said - its ok! You have a 2 year old! 
Little did they know, it was like that here long before we had kids. Eek. 

So, books, instead of cleaning. Or for your free time. Ever heard of that?



I could not put this down. I read it during the quarantine (on Day 2, back when we were having caviar and champagne every night and we were enjoying that new show on Netflix and thought this whole thing seemed fun) but this book was amazing. Again, set in Colorado, and because of my new love affair with Colorado, I stayed up way too late reading this book. Set on a river( great description Holly), we meet 2 college kids headed out on big adventure. The description of the setting is superb and the story quickly moves along. I got my Dad and one nephew to read this. 



This is a heavy one but so beautiful. I read this years ago and I would probably have a different take on it now but it came to mind the other day. The main character is a baker and she is working through her grief as she comes to grip with her family of origin. Because its been awhile for me, read more about it before you buy or download. 



I love this book. A love letter to Atlanta. ( Not sure I totally get that term but it could definitely apply here. Have you ever noticed on book endorsements on the back of the book, the "endorsers" use the words "hauntingly beautiful" and "tour de force." Ugh. Yuck. Get over yourselves. I don't know what they mean and why does every book have that same description?) 
Anywho, The Swan House (which is a real place) set in the 1960s, this is a young girls' coming of age story set against the South. Depth and beauty. She is an artist and her mother was an artist. Her mother was one of many well to do Atlanteans killed in a plane crash coming back from Paris. This part is true and there is a Rodin statue at the High Museum in Atlanta dedicated to these people. This is a great book when you want some depth. Like how beauty can be painful sometimes. But you are better because of it.  



This was a simple book but a wonderful story. I love reading books about stores. And unexpected friendships. This is one of those books. Surprisingly, I haven't read anything else by Berg which is strange because this is one I think about often. 



Same author as The Swan House listed above. Again, a story set in Atlanta but this one is during the Depression. A great story of friendship between 2 teenage girls battling financial issues and familial problems but for 2 very different reasons. A story of healing and hope. 



And of course we get to this one. The one book everyone seems to know about or at least has read. I finally read it. I am certainly glad I did. But to be honest, I think I had too much hype! That can happen sometimes. I still really enjoyed it. The descriptions of the marsh were breath taking. If you have read this, I think the descriptions of the river in The River is comparable. Well, not quite but you get my drift.

Happy Reading!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...